Monday, March 21, 2005

Bulletproof the Blue Sky...


We were unaware of the apparent dangers facing the band during the Joshua Tree Tour when U2 were ardent supporters of honoring Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday with a US National holiday. During the recent Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, Bono remembered three 'Kodak moments' with each of his bandmates. Edge was credited with his passion, Larry was credited with his integrity, and the most moving comments were what Bono had to say about Adam. Adam, who we've always considered laid back and sometimes (albeit reluctantly) indifferent, really demonstrated his commitment to the band unbeknownst to the fans in attendance at one of their early JT shows. Bono said it best during his speech:
"Third Kodak moment: 1987, somewhere in the south. We'd been campaigning for Dr. King -- for his birthday to be a national holiday. In Arizona they're saying 'no,' and we'd been campaigning very, very hard for Dr. King. Some people don't like it. Some people get very annoyed. Some people want to kill the singer. Some people are taken very seriously by the FBI. They tell us that we shouldn't play the gig because tonight his life is at risk and must not go on the stage. The singer laughs. The singer pffts, you know. Of course, we're playing the gig! Of course, we go on stage! And I'm standing there singing "Pride (In the Name of Love)" and got to the third verse. I close my eyes. I know I'm excited about meeting my maker -- but maybe not tonight. I don't really want to meet my maker tonight. I closed my eyes and when I look up, I see Adam Clayton standing in front of me, holding his bass like only Adam Clayton can hold his bass. And, yeah, there's people in this room who tell you they'll take a bullet for you, but Adam Clayton would have taken a bullet for me -- and I guess that's what it's like to be in a truly great rock and roll band."

It was an eye opener to realize that on any given night, depending on various information the band receives, that there may be a lot more going on on stage than a U2 concert.

2 Comments:

Blogger U2 Sermons said...

Would you guys consider turning on your RSS/Atom feed within the blogger settings? Much easier to follow the blog for readers that way. Thanks.

3/21/2005 11:11:00 AM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Well, we checked and it says that our Atom XML feed is on, but we did put a link over on the right so you can subscribe to our feed. Thanks for stopping by!

3/21/2005 08:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright ©2005 | www.vertiblog.com
all rights reserved


Unique Visitors Since 01.23.2005